This hostel has 75 CATS. They live in cathouses on the property.
Well, yes. But for those wanting more:
- Pause is registered as a non-profit under the name PAW (Protecting Animal Welfare)
- Dorm beds are $15USD/night.
- Your money is partly used to buy food and vaccinations. For the cats, not you.
- There are also 3 dogs and 1 duck.
- It’s on the Caribbean. Like, really on it. Fifteen feet from the water.
- As of December, 2016, Pause was staffed and managed entirely by a crew of international volunteers (I was one of them).
- The property’s palm trees provide an endless supply of fresh coconuts which you can husk yourself with the hostel machetes.
- Free kayaks are provided.
- We constructed a palapa roof for the hostel boat. So… party boat! Whether it’s still intact is anyone’s guess.
And for the visually inclined:
All of these pictures are of Pause Hostel except for diving platform over the water – that’s a 10 minute walk down the island to “The Split,” where the island of Caye Caulker was bisected by beautiful Caribbean water after a large storm.
For more information, check them out at http://www.pausehostel.com/.